Hey Vangsters! We know how important it is to build a career you’re proud of. Vangst is committed to presenting the best candidates to our clients and helping our Vangsters advance in the cannabis industry. The keys to Vangsters’ success are high professionalism, consistent attendance, and, of course, a great attitude. Check out our tips and tricks on always bringing your A-game.
While the cannabis industry is still growing, professionalism in the workplace is something that companies consistently seek. At Vangst, we hold our Vangsters to a high standard of professionalism. With hundreds of job seekers eager to join the cannabis industry every day, it’s important to make an impactful impression from day one. To help make sure you stand out to cannabis employers, be sure to commit to the following:
- We all love cannabis, but cannabis use is never okay in the workplace. Your business could receive some serious fines if you’re caught consuming on-site. Don’t bring it with you in your pockets, backpack, purse, or anything else you bring in to work. Save it for when you’re relaxing at home!
- Always make sure to speak professionally to your recruiter, employer, and coworkers. Use their names in conversation to show you’re engaged in the discussion.
- Treat fellow coworkers the way you want to be treated. Simple, but effective.
- Always show up at least 5-10 minutes early to your shift, this shows your employer that you are a hard worker and are taking your job seriously. You never know when bad traffic can strike or your tank needs an extra couple of gallons, leaving early gives yourself time to prepare for these instances!
Remember: although the cannabis industry is forward-thinking, it’s still a good idea to cover your bases when it comes to appropriate behavior in the workplace.
Maintaining a good attendance record at work is more than just refraining from calling out regularly. Proper attendance also means starting your job duties on time and staying on task throughout the day and completing duties efficiently. When you’re excessively absent, it forces your coworkers to pick up your slack and places unnecessary stress on management and the company as a whole.
- Only agree to an assignment if you’re sure you can commit.
- Short-term contracts (projects that are shorter than a month) have a much stricter attendance policy to adhere to.
- Let Vangst know if you can’t make it to an assignment. We understand life happens, so if you can’t make your commitment, please make sure to let us know as soon as possible. Your opportunities to find future work through Vangst may be limited if you fail to show up to an assignment without notice.
- Be consistent! Showing up consistently for our clients is one of the best ways to set yourself up for great career growth.
- No call, no show (when you don’t show up for your shift and don’t let anyone know why) is a huge red flag for employers. Always make sure to let your Talent Advocate know if you’re planning on missing an upcoming shift.
- Make a habit of calling out. We understand there can sometimes be unexpected circumstances, but you must uphold your commitment of taking on an assignment.
How to properly call out
Log into Wurk and click the “hamburger menu” in the upper left corner to open up the main menu. From My Info, expand My Time > Time Off and select Request. This opens a new time off request. Once you choose the type of time off, enter details about the length of time and dates. Once done, click submit request. Your request will be listed under My Info > My Time > Time Off > History. Once it is approved, the hours will auto-populate on your timesheet.
Maintaining great attendance is crucial to helping you excel as an employee and ensures you’re in good standing with your employer. Perfect attendance also looks fantastic to any future employers!
It’s incredibly exciting to be a part of this new industry and we love working with candidates who share that same excitement and passion for cannabis as we do.
Your attitude towards your role is one of the most important factors when a client is deciding to hire a candidate permanently. We love hearing from candidates who share their inspiring stories about why they want to work in cannabis or what specific cannabis products have helped them, family members, or friends in the past. Be sure to share these passions and show gratitude – you’re working in the coolest industry ever, after all!
If a career in cannabis is your dream, the temporary roles we regularly see from our clients often lead to full-time employment with the potential to be hired on permanently after a 90-day probationary period. During this probationary period, our clients take into account whether or not you show ambition and drive, and if you truly exemplify the desire to grow within their company and the industry as a whole. When starting any new position, displaying a positive attitude every day doing the work you do will go a long way when it comes to snagging those competitive permanent spots.
To sum it up – all of us at Vangst want to help you kickstart a long and successful career in the cannabis industry! Our goal is to ensure all of our Vangsters are set up for success from the beginning, and we hope the tips we’ve shared with you here will help. The continued growth of the cannabis industry is dependent on great candidates like you, and Vangst will always be here to help connect you to amazing job opportunities. If you’re interested in getting your foot in the door or advancing your career in cannabis – give us a shout!